Subject: RE: [Leica] Hexar RF/M7
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:24:12 -0000

> > Those companies survive if they render outstanding quality,
> > or a cult-object, or both, as in Leica's case.
>
> All Leica needs to do is make money on its current products.
> If it does that,
> it survives forever.  There is no need to try to sell ten
> million units of
> anything.  Twenty thousand cameras a year is plenty, as long
> as each one is sold
> at a profit (even a modest profit).
>
> Wasn't it right here that Mr. Maxwell and his hand-made
> loupes were discussed?
> Is he going bankrupt?  Does he need to mass-produce a million
> units a year in
> order to survive?  Nope.  He just needs to make money on the
> handful of items
> that he produces.
>
>   -- Anthony

Unfortunately, Anthony, your view of what a company needs to do to survive
is only valid if the company is privately held, and held by owners whose
definition of profit is modest.

If, like Leica, a company is publicly held, it exists not to produce a
top-of-the-line product, but to make money for the stockholders - and if the
stock holders don't like the profit picture, they bail.

If Leica is to survive as a publicly held company it is going to have to
figure out how to grow financially, whether that means producing an M7 that
can sell more units than the M6, or whether it means turning out plastic
point-and-shoots. I'm not in favor of this view of things, but it's called
reality, capitalism, business life at the end of the 20th century - take
your pick.