Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF/M7
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 22:40:59 -0600

I love the idea of fresh thinking going into the M-system on an ongoing
basis. But regardless of where the cameras are made, I think the basic M
formula must not be too diluted.

The M, as I see it is/has:

- -Fully-featured, yet uncluttered: A shooter's camera (don't even think
of taking away my DOF scale!)
- -"Small camera, big negative"
- -Responsive "decisive moment" design
- -Unobtrusive, with great low-light capabilities
- -Offers amenities, but does not attempt to replace craft with computers
(But I do believe it's possible to have a thinking person's automatic
camera!)
- -Luxurious look and feel which ages gracefully
- -Within it's limitations, it has some of the best optics going for it,
and is expensive.
- -Optical focus confirmation, whether the camera's AF or MF

I don't mind polycarbonate, LCDs and control wheels per se, but in the
end, what matters is that I get my photos the way I want them, faster,
easier and more consistently than before. Darndest thing about some of
these fancy multi-spot meters is that sometimes they'll correctly deal
with tough situations, and sometimes not, and really the only way you
know is by looking at the fstop/shutter speed setting's it's selecting
(if the viewfinder display is clear enough that you can pick them out
from the sea of data) and, by years of experience, realize that it just
doesn't sound right, in which case, you dial in correction 'till it
does--sorta like having weather satellites and supercomputers to predict
weather patterns, but still relying on telltale rings around the moon to
predict rain tomorrow!

Why I think the M has problems in today's market: Folks have gotten used
to the notion that they can have it all, and need not make any tough
decisions ("why yes, this camera has 12 modes, including fully
manual!"--this is what's known as having "wide appeal") The manual-only
M with it's limited lens selection and stratospheric pricetag is all
about knowing EXACTLY what you want, so it's an oddball, but for a
select few, a beloved one!

Jeff (currently on my 4th M)
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado

http://www.boulder.net/~4season