Subject: [Leica] Camera reliability
From: "Nicholas Ragovis" <ragovisn@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:32:33 -0400

What, the Nikon F wasn't reliable enough for you?  Cameras dropping from
helicopters and still working not impressive enough?  Didn't the Japanese
sort of define their cameras with reliability?  Isn't that how they managed
to step out of the "Made in Japan" means junk stereotype of the 1950s?  If
anything, Leicas are not known as the world's most trouble free cameras....
especially the R8.
- ------------------------------------------------

I don't believe, that the japanese are really interested of bringing out a
camera
with the reliability of the Leica. It costs to much. Don't forget: You get
only
what you pay for.
If the Japanese are really serious to go in to the range finder market, then
they
want to keep on selling cameras and not have people using 40 year old
cameras
just because they are as good as when they where bought.
The Japs will have plenty of plastic parts and plenty of wear inbuilt. I
would
say, they have a life span of 5 years if used constantly. After this time it
wont
be economical to service this cameras anymore.The Pentax Spotmatic days are
gone.

In addition to the above said, I can not see the Japanese screw mount
cameras
already released to make such a big impact. Its either Leica bayonet or
nothing.

My thoughts only.

Regards, Horst Schmidt