Subject: RE: [Leica] B&W film: Ilford vs. TMax
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 12:01:03 -0600

Not exactly a rigorous test, but I shot a lot of B&W in Central America
earlier this year. I shot both T Max 400 and Delta 400 (don't ask why the
mix - deals on film!).

Most was shot at 800. Developed in Xtol. And working with the negs, both
traditionally, in the darkroom and digitally, the Ilford beats the pants off
the Kodak. Now some people may say I should have used T Max developer for
the TMax. But I have never found it that great (actually, D76 is supposed to
be one of the best for TMax). But comparing other negs that were developed
with this, the Ilford still wins.

Overall, slightly sharper, better contrast and just an overall better
looking image.

As I say, not a scientific test, but for me, one that counts - in the end,
which image looks better. For me, with this work, it is the Ilford.

Tim A