Subject: RE: [Leica] B&W film: Ilford XP2 Super
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:32:48 -0700

>I second this.  Thanks to its low gamma and wide lattitude, XP2 Super is
>closest thing to being the all-around film I've ever used.

It's just excellent. I've been using XP series Ilford films since 1982.

>There are definitely concerns about its longevity; however, even the
>negative may perish, the print will.  For someone who will never make money
>from photography, this is satisfactory.

How long do you want the photographs to last? I have many XP1 and XP2
negatives which are just perfect after 18 years. My B&W darkroom prints
from them are in perfect shape too. Digital scans of those negs can be
transferred, entirely losslessly, from one electronic media to another
literally forever.

I'm 45 now, so presuming that I want to see them last until I die and I
will live to be 100, that's a measly 3x their current age yet to come. I
fully expect they'll be around to haunt me until I take my final
photograph.

What's the issue?

Godfrey