Subject: [Leica] [leica] digital printing - scan negs or prints?
From: FSilberman@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:47:16 EDT

Hi:
I've been reading this thread with interest.

I don't do digital printing, per se ,but do scan with slide scanners &
flatbed scanners for off set printing.

My experience with B&W is that it is far simpler to work from a print than it
is to scan a b&w neg. the file is smaller & the quality is better. Most
printers I know work from prints as well.

My experience with color is a diff matter. II'm still experimenting in this
area, since I want to be able to do more work in house. Right now I get my
transparencies drum scanned & color corrected ( which I guide them with) by
the color separation house. Drum scans offer the best dynamic range out
there, but flatbeds are fast approaching on their heels. Most medium print
highend printers scan transaprencies on flatbed scanners today. They are
taking this work away from the traditional sphere of the cololr separators
because for most purposes the work is good. Keep in mind the printed page
(offset printing) has a narrower range (I've been told it's about 4 stops)
than film. The paper it's printed on has an impact on this has well, just
look at those expensive special edition photobooks on coated paper vs.
uncoated paper for example.

Anyway, to keep things short, transparencies vs. prints do offer beeter
results. But from what I've been told from my separator is that if you have a
nice print & it is about the size it will be printed from they will make a
nice drum scan from it. They aslo noted it was easier for them to get the
scan right the first time with little tweeking. It seems the narrower dynamic
range is an advantage in this respect. This is why I'm experimenting with
color prints on my flatbed now. The narrower range makes it easier for the
falt bed to capture the info & for amny applications the info you can
digitize is enough to get great results.

Cheers,

Frederic