Subject: RE: [Leica] How to support Leica?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:28:24 -0000

> > From: B. D. Colen [mailto:bdcolen@earthlink.net]
> >
> > I feel that because a camera like the F5  offers the
> > photographer so many technological options, the F5 is a
> > better value for the photographer who is going to avail
> > him or herself of those options.
>
> But isn't that a bit of a tautology, B. D.?  You seem to be
> saying that a
> person places a higher value on those things he values more...
>
> So if I value quietness, relative compactness and simplicity
> of operation,
> then that makes the M a much better value to me than the F5.
> Of course I'm
> in the minority of consumers, because I'll actually pay more
> to get less -
> less noise, less size, less weight, fewer buttons and dials,
> less crud in
> the viewfinder, less stuff to think about when I should be watching my
> subject.  To me that lack of stuff is what makes the M a better value.
>
> But, this is really only rebeating the dead horse of personal
> value systems,
> and I haven't seen him twitch in a while on this list :-)
>
> Paul Chefurka

Oh, that horse is daid!...And I agree with you in a cosmic sense...And I
think we also value the same things in our photographic instrumenets. But
when the vast majority of folks out there make buying decisions, they're
generally looking for technobang - whirrrrrr!!! Chachunk! Chachunk!
Chachunk! - for the buck...The bigger the swiss army knife, the more it's
worth to them....Me, I prefer the basic single blade model, single accessory
model...