Subject: RE: [Leica] My M is drinking batterys
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:48:38 -0700

At 2:03 PM -0500 10/12/99, Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com wrote:
>3 volt. Yes it fits. Better cold weather performer & costs about what the
>two silver cells would cost.
>

>"Lin, Weifu" wrote:
>>
>> Dan Cardish wroteˇG
>>
>> > Sheesh.......my M6HM is approaching 2 years of age, and I'm still using
>the
>> > original lithium battery that came with it.
>>
>> Could it be possible that the lithium battery lasts longer than the
>> silver oxide botton cell?
>>
>> --
>
>What kind of lithium battery are you guys talking about? Does it fit in a
>regular m6?
>Mark Rabiner

Good storage life, and similar total capacity, but the problem with the
lithiums is that when the power is nearly gone, its voltage drops, so for a
film or two you will get overexposure unless you recognize it. Silver Oxide
batteries stop more suddenly. The M6 circuitry doesn't seem to compensate.

Someone else might know whether the improved circuitry in the later M6's
takes care of this. I have one of each, but it seems that both had the
problem with Lithiums. I now use only Silver Oxide, and change them
regularly. Hardly a major operational cost.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com