Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica camera rumours
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:13:24 -0400

I spent some more time with the Leica microscope installer.  Now remember,
this guy has over 30 yrs with Leitz in the microscopy division.

He didn't have more info on the digital SLR (yes SLR), but from what he
hears at Wetzlar,  a good fraction of the Leica desigenrs think that digital
cameras are the way to go.  Not that I agree with him, but his feeling is
that the design possibilities in 35mm cameras have been pretty much
exhausted and that the innovative and creative aspects of Leica design will
be invested in digital.

Antoehr thing that he passed on was the terrible morale in Leica camera
workers.  The workers know that Leica needs invigorating and that if
something truly innovative doesn't happen soon, the company is finsihed as a
camera manufacturer.  Not that he is happy about the route that Leica
microsystems has taken: third world manufacturing, but he knows that
something needs to be done.

He speaks with pride of the "old days", meaning in the sixties when the M3
was taking the world by storm and the 50 f2 Summicron was first introduced.
You should see his eyes light up with joy when he talks about the 50
Summicron.  When I told him that was the lens that I used, he was proud as a
new daddy.  He even offered to give (give!) me some of his old 39mm Leitz
filters from the days when he had an M4 (employees got discounts, but he
traded his in for an R4).  He tells me "I haven't used them in twenty years,
soemone shoudl use them." He longs for the day when Leica stood for not only
mechanical excellence and optical excellence but technical innovation as
well.

JOnathan Lee
Jonathan Lee