Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica camera rumours
From: Aaron Ruby <aruby@rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:27:32 -0400

"A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote:

> I hope its only a rumor [that Leica is threatening to sue Konica]. Apple did
> the same years ago with clones like Apricot
> etc.
>
> The still haven't recovered yet.

I don't know about the Apricot (I've never even heard of it), but if your
referring to Apple's near complete revocation of OS licenses a few years back,
it's fairly well agreed that doing so actually SAVED the company. If, on the
other hand, you're referring to some cloning attempts MUCH earlier on in the
game--say, before the rise of Win95--then MAYBE you have a point. I'm a dyed in
the wool MacOS user myself, BUT note the emphasis on OS. The OS is the real tool,
the box just allows its instantiation. I care about the OS, but I don't give a
damn (ceteris paribus) about who makes it. I'll buy whichever one has the best
value/dollar. If, and remember I'm only saying IF, that logic applied to the
manual-focus-rangefinder OS, Leica might do well to follow Apple's example.

Best,

Aaron (not only do I own a Power Computing PTP 250 w/400MHz G3 but also I am
willing to shamelessly plagiarize other list members' closings--just this once)
Ruby