Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: For those who think film will be dead...
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:56:09 +0200

From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 02:10
Subject: [Leica] Re: For those who think film will be dead...

> In other words, without substantially degrading
> the dynamic range of the CCD, current technology
> provides no obvious way to make CCDs with pixels
> smaller than 5-10 um in diameter.

There is no need to make the pixels smaller than 5 um or so (that's 250 lp/mm
already).  What is really needed is to make the CCDs larger with the _same_
pixel size, so that they can match the size of a 24x36 film negative, and
thereby use the same lenses.

> And it is extremely difficult to make very large
> CCDs inexpensively ...

Yes, and that is the biggest obstacle facing digital photography at the moment.

> ... moreover, doing so will impose the same requirements
> for large heavy lenses (with big image circles) as medium
> format film does.

Not if the CCD measures 24x36 millimeters.

> And remember - film is improving at least as fast
> as CCDs are.

So when will I have Provia at ISO 3200 resolving 320 lp/mm with no grain?  I
really look forward to that.

> We are already surprisingly close to the theoretical
> resolution limits for compact, handheld digital CCD
> still cameras.

Like I said, unless some magic breakthrough occurs, we are seriously stuck for
the moment, since the only option is a bigger CCD, and nobody knows how to make
those reliably.

  -- Anthony