Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica camera rumours
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:16:06 +0300

B. D. Colen wrote:

> DR. BLACKTAPE WOULD ONLY ADD THAT ...The below is certainly true, but
> consider one thing - if Apple dies tomorrow, the computers, which are
> by definition obsolete as they are manufactured, fall more and more
> behind the curve, the owner-base shrinks, little or no new software,
> etc. etc.....If Leica dies tomorrow, our M6s, 4s, etc., will be the
> same efficient mechanical rangefinders when our children are using
> them as they are now, and the lenses will be just as sharp...which
> means there's less reason for us to fixate on the future of a publicly
> held German company than there is for the Apple corps to fixate on the
> future of Apple....

Please inform Dr. Blacktape that I don't see the parallel as valid.
Apple computers don't need to be serviced in two years, and need no new
software either. That is the nature of the computer industry; you have
to buy a new computer every two years anyway. No one will really suffer
if Apple dies tomorrow. When the time comes to update your unit, you
simply buy whatever's on sale then. An IBM clone, of course.

Bernard

PS    Say, Beedee.... have you ever proven your connection to the
illustrious Dr.?  Or is this something we just have to take your word
for.....