Subject: Re: [Leica] The new Konica hexar RF; take a look
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

It looks like it might be an interesting camera. I will eagerly await
seeing one at a dealership.

I worry not so much about the possibility that the motor might be noisy or
that it needs batteries to operate, or that it's not perfect what every
Leica enthusiast will love (forget that... ;). I worry more about Konica's
intent. This looks like a fine camera, like the Hexar, with a useful array
of features and such. Will Konica persevere with it the way Minolta did
not with the CLE? It's clearly well above and away from the price point of
everything else Konica makes in the photo world at present. Will it be
just another fine curiosity in 20 years, like the CLE is becoming now?

One of the reasons I'm buying an M6 rather than waiting to see this new
camera in the flesh is that I'm certain that service, support, parts,
lenses and accessories for the M6 will be available even if not from Leica
for the remainder of my lifetime. I'm now getting to my middle
curmudgeonhood and I want a modicum of stability. (Roger, stop laughing!)

On the other hand, I don't think it's particularly sensible to pooh pooh
this new camera before anyone has had a chance to see it, work with it,
and report as to how it works. That smacks of nothing but prejudice.

Godfrey