Subject: Re: [Leica] paperless??? Now: OFF TOPIC: analog vs digital
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:14:21 +0200

From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 21:19

> You are talking about the equivalent of a FAX of the
> dead sea scrolls.   Or a JPG copy.   I am talking about
> the underlying meaning of the scrolls.

The underlying meaning cannot be encoded at all in any form, analog or digital.

> Is the page of the telephone book digital?

Absolutely.

> I don't think so.

It is an excellent example of digital representation.

Try resetting that same page of the telephone book in a different font.  If it
were an analog representation, doing this would change all the names and
telephone numbers, at least slightly.  However, since it is a digital
representation, none of the information changes.

> I don't understand your reference to cryptology.

Cryptography is information theory at its finest.  If you study cryptography,
you discover why the telephone book is a digital representation of information.

  -- Anthony