Subject: Re: [Leica] paperless???
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:44:55 +0200

From: Lee, Jonathan <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 18:16

> I question the validity of any theory that treats number,
> letters and stop signs as being fucntionally equivalent
> since we know by experience that they are different and
> have different uses.

That theory, developed by people like Claude Shannon and others, is what makes
it possible for you to write the above.  It prints your paychecks and keeps your
aircraft from crashing into another aircraft when you travel.  It makes it
possible for you to listen to music and call people on the telephone and read a
newspaper.  It prevents your cruise ship from becoming lost at sea.  It keeps
the accurate time of day.  It makes it possible to implant prosthetic hip joints
that don't have to be constantly replaced.  It even sent men to the moon.  It's
actually a bit more than just theory, I'd say.

  -- Anthony