Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [Leica[ paperless???
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:31:08 +0200

From: Shawn London <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 23:33
Subject: [Leica] Re: [Leica[ paperless???

> I think that you are much too blase about the
> importance of pixel count given the rather primitive
> state of CCD's today.

I think that pixel counts, like line pairs per millimeter, are mostly grist for
the mills of the equipment geeks.  Neither is that important in real-world
photography.

> Your statements basically suggesting that requirements
> for resolution are vastly overrated are nothing new...

I certainly didn't invent them.

> I recall hearing the same thing from Kodak regarding the
> adequacy of the postage stamp-sized disc film negative a
> number of years back.

Just look at the NTSC television standard, invented even earlier.

> And the guy browsing in the locla camera shop the other
> day who told me that owning a camera is a waste of money
> these days since the Kodak disposables take better pictures
> than the old camera I am using anyway.

They probably take pictures that are 90-95% as good.  If he only needs 80%, they
are more than sufficient for him.

  -- Anthony