Subject: [Leica] Re: the new Konica RF compared to the CLE and service longevity
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:23:17 +0800

"B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Hexar RF announcement -wow
wrote:
>Tim, if it is a "CLE with a motor," it is one VERY expensive CLE with a
>motor.
Comment: e+ /mint used CLEs are selling for about US$900 (KEH) and if the
Konica sells in the US (and Hong Kong) for about US$1200 (not about US$1800
as indicated in France) perhaps it is comparatively not so expensive for a
new camera with motor drive.
"Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] The new Konica hexar RF; take a look
wrote:
>Will Konica persevere with it the way Minolta did
>not with the CLE? It's clearly well above and away from the price point of
>everything else Konica makes in the photo world at present. Will it be
>just another fine curiosity in 20 years, like the CLE is becoming now?
Comment: Over the years, I have owned four CLEs and had the dried out
cracked circuit board in my latest one replaced by Minolta Hong Kong just
two years ago - in my view that is reasonable support for a Japanese camera
out of production for - what ? - about 15 years. It does not in any way
match what Leica does for support of their old cameras, I realize, but it
is not bad either. I am hoping for an Aperture Preferred M mount compatible
camera from someone before my last CLE gives up the ghost (in another 10
years or so). I also have 3 M6's but I really like the Ap Preferred Auto on
the CLE - I use it especially with a summicron 35 Asp, twisting the lens a
bit to bring up the 40mm lines and more recently using the Skopar 25 with
DOF focussing and the 28mm frames lines for viewing. A great combo for
street grab shots - much faster than I can use an M6!
>On the other hand, I don't think it's particularly sensible to pooh pooh
>this new camera before anyone has had a chance to see it, work with it,
>and report as to how it works. That smacks of nothing but prejudice.
>Godfrey
I very much agree - and I am looking forward to all the comparisons between
the Cosina, the Konica and hopefully the new M7, as well as a battery of
new lens test comparisons from Erwin.
I think we may be coming up to a new golden age for rangefinders and yes, I
am going to continue to buy Leica glass - never mind what body it goes on!
Howard Cummer.