Subject: Re: [Leica] The sensor manufacturers are trying their best
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:45:29 +0200

From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 03:43

> It is still a Bayer pattern sensor and you only get
> 1.5 megapixels total out.

A six-megapixel sensor puts out six million pixels, not 1.5 million pixels, with
or without a Bayer pattern.  I've already explained why chrominance resolution
can be far lower than luminance resolution without showing any visible
degradation in the picture.

> Unlike the Leica S1, which is a 25 megapixel camera delivering a full
> 25 million pixels of resolution.

As long as your subject remains motionless for 20 seconds.  It is poorly adapted
to sports photography and birdwatching, I daresay.

It's easy to get high pixel counts in scanning backs.

> He also stated that it took millions of lines of C
> code to manipulate a MegaVision raw image to make it
> usable.

Millions of lines isn't very much nowadays.  It takes millions of lines to
display a Web page, too.

  -- Anthony