Subject: Re: [Leica] New Hexar RF
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:37:43 +0300

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> Advantages over the M6:
> Shutter speeds visible in the VF; AE & AE with lock; DX coding
> (marginal plus);
> higher sync speed(marginal plus - just a little over 1 f-stop
> advantage); motor
> drive.

Excellent!

> Disadvantages over the M6:
> Noise level;

Too bad.

> Lower mag. x = less RF accuracy;

Good! I like wide-angles.

> Missed opportunities: No focus confirmation; No spot meter (would be
> great with the AE lock);

Spot would have been nice, of course.

> Still unknown: Film loading system - fast advance to first frame?

I'd like that.

> Rewind speed?

Any will do.

Damn good specs. I hope the motor isn't as noisy as they make it out to
be; the noise-level of my minilux is so low that at a short distance
it's inaudible, and with the usual ambient noise I don't really hear it
myself; I feel the movement rather than actually hearing the low hum. I
wonder if the Hexar would really be so noisy; the Japanese are so good
at electronic gizmo-stuff. I'd rather have a Leica M7, or M6AE, but if
they fail to deliver, then I'll reprogram my brain to a Hexar.

Bernard