Subject: [Leica] note from the leicasaurus
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:37:52 -0800

>Bernard, commenting on Guy Bennett wrote:
>
>> as features go, the above items are as desirable to me as autofocus
>> (i.e. not at all); they are the very things i was more than happy to
>> live without in buying a leica rangefinder.
>
>A quiet motor make one much less obtrusive, because fiddling with the
>crank gives people the (correct) idea that you're taking their picture.

being less obtrusive is not a major concern for me. pressing a camera
against my face, i'm giving people a clear indication that i may in fact be
taking a picture, whether i 'fiddle with the crank' or have the (nearly)
quiet internal angels spirit the film from one frame to the next.

>> for me, the hexar and is a moot camera. had i wanted a rangefinder
>> with the features of an automatic camera, i would have bought a g2.
>
>Those won't take those fast and cool Leica lenses and they autofocus
>with very limited override capabilities.

that's why i bought an m - it takes the ultra-bitchin' leica lenses AND its
limited override autofocus capabilities do not pose a problem.

>> all of the recent discussion of the 'advantages' of the konica and
>> cosina cameras has made me appreciate all the more my m6 and iiif.
>>
>> i'm happy with them the way they are.
>
>The dinosaurs were a happy lot as well. Now we scrape them out of the
>dirt to put them on display.

anyone who'd like to put me on display has only to let me know when and
where - i'll be there with my prehistoric (i.e., b.a. - before
auto-whatever) cameras. be sure to bring your hexar along to document the
event. and while you're trying to figure out how to disable the automation
to correctly expose a picture, or while you change a battery, i'll snap
your photo.

>Bernard

guy