Subject: [Leica] Konica Hexar RF
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:19:01 +0100

I owned one of the original Hexars for about two weeks (the shutter release
microswitch failed and I returned the camera and bought an M4-P instead).

I thought it was an excellent camera --

- - excellent optics
- - absurdly quiet shutter and drive
- - very fast autofocus
- - well thought out automation
- - excellent metering

The drawbacks were that it was delicate (not to say flimsy), and hard to
repair (I was quoted a month to repair the microswitch).

Thus, if the RF version is similar to the original Hexar, I would imagine it
would make a GREAT second body. The shutter will no doubt be much louder as
it is now focal plane rather than in the lens. The automatic modes are very
suited to low light photography, and the RF is a dream. Spot metering is
available in manual mode. HOWEVER if the polycarbonate body is the same it
is not a pro's main camera, so should not dent sales of the M6 too much. If
they have put it in a metal box and overengineered the mechanics, however,
it could be very interesting.