Subject: RE: [Leica] do your homework, please!
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:51:12 -0700

From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>

>Erwin, I do not suggest that you are wrong from an image
>standpoint, but the real issue to the manufacturer of the
>CCD is to keep abreast of the technology of optimal cost.
>This would suggest that smaller is usually cheaper.
>CCD imagers will get smaller, regardless of LPM as
>geometries of IC's gets smaller.

As Jim Brick and I have explained at length, this is simply wrong.
There are physical limits to CCD pixel size that have *ALREADY*
been reached. Absent radically different CCD technologies (e.g.
so-called hyperdynamic CCDs, still in experimental form), one cannot
make the pixels smaller without major dynamic range problems.

For this reason the current push is to learn how to make *larger*
CCDs with pixel sizes comparable to the current generation of devices.

- -Alexey