Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens recommendation
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 08:17:32 EDT

MH:

I am somewhat of an enlarger lens accumulator (choose this word instead of
collector).   I have recently narrowed my collection down to a 50mm Focotar,
a 40mm Focotar and a 75mm El Nikkor.   Previous lenses in my "accumulation"
were the 50mm 2.8 Rodagon, 50mm F2.8 Apo-Rodagon-N and an 80 mm F2.8 Rodagon.
 I conducted a very unscientific test by making a print of the same negative
with each lens(Erwin, please forgive).  I presented the unmarked prints to
our small photo group (esteemed Dan Post present) and the 50mm Focotar was
the clear winner and very close in 2nd place was the 75mm El-Nikkor followed
in this order; 50mm Apo-Rodagon-n,  50mm Rodagon and last was the 80mm
Rodagon.  At this time I did not own the 40mm Focotar.

I had suspected the outcome from previous use but was clearly surprised by
the quality of the El Nikkor.  I have since eliminated all three Rodagons
(including the Apo Rodagon) and added the 40mm Focotar.  I have not used it
enough to come to a conclusion but it appears to be excellent.  I am now
searching for a medium format Focotar....

As stated this test was not scientific but good enough for me in achieving my
darkroom quality standards.

Does anyone have a 75 - 80 mm Focotar for sale?

Thanks
Bob

<< Mark...

 Yes, and 105 and 150 as well.

 MH

 Message text written by Mark Rabiner
 "Michael Hintlian wrote:

 > Mark...
 >
 > PMFJI.  Don't hesitate go for the APO-Rodagon-N, its as good as it gets.
 > I'm using a 50mm f2.8 APO-Rodagon-N and love it.  Never did think too
 much
 > of the go-one-size-up idea for 35mm, could never see a difference really.
 > This new APO 50 blows everything else away...and not by a little bit
 > either.
 >
 > MH
 Don't they make an 80 or something in there?
 Mark Rabiner
 " >>