Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Ricoh GR1
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 07:25:55 -0700

>Saw this new Ricoh GR1 ???? in the local papers selling for S$828/- !!!!
>Comes with aperture selection and f2.8 lens , 28mm........ A minilux wannabe?

The Ricoh GR1 has been on the market for several years. They are in the
same quality class as the Leica Minilux. Excellent features and
ergonomics, very high quality construction, a top notch lens. They're
smaller than the Minilux ... one of the smallest full-frame 35mm compacts
around ... with a magnesium body to boot.

I received several inquiries on the one I put up for sale but have
decided to keep it instead. I like it too much, and Ricoh has stopped
selling film cameras in the US so I couldn't get another new one.

When available, they were $550 MSRP in the US, and were sold at B&H for
just under $400. An excellent value for the money. They can still be
obtained outside the US, and I believe there's a "GR1S" model which
allows fitment of a lens shade and filter as well.

Godfrey