Subject: Re: [Leica] Devil's advocate
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:15:11 -0700

Mike Johnston wrote:
><Snip>
> The biggest problem with the M6 is not that it is a bad camera (it's a
> great camera, and progress will not alter that fact), but that it has
> stood still for too long. The history of camera manufacture is littered
> with examples of companies sticking with successful designs for too
> long, ><Snip>
> --Mike
Like those stupid view cameras relying on a basic design used since the
beginnings of photograhy 160 years ago and still the definitive way to record
quality images Sinar's patents aside.
The Leica M6 is the Sinar of the 35mm rangefinder world and my guess is your
guess is wrong. There is not mass exit from it to the high tech toys.
People who are frustrated with the Leica M6's low tech quality are free to play
with their high tech G2 toys and the other ASPH Holgas coming along. Is a cloth
shutter really so offensive? Not to me. It does what it has to do with this
proven instrument.
Mark Rabiner