Subject: [Leica] Modern Markets
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:35:40 +1000

Why should this be the case?  Australia is such an advanced country.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dan,

Advanced maybe, but very small market. No-one can service or repair an R8
for example. Even if you buy it here, you have to ship it to Germany for
repair. Spare parts are not brought out to Australia in "abundance", so any
model which goes out of date will become really obsolete within a year or
two, for example Howard Cummer has been able to keep his CLE going in Hong
Kong, but I had to give up on mine 5 years ago.

Ted's book should be on the way, but it cost half as much again to send it,
and it will take 3 months to get here. Yes it is a small world, but
Australia is a far flung and small market.

Not that this should be seen as a complaint. Isolation also has its
advantages, and we are a very lucky nation in more important ways, the
isolation only making the "natives" more resourceful.

cheers

Alastair Firkin