Subject: [Leica] If you thought it was expensive...
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:35:53 -0600

D Khong wrote:

> While on the subject on variofocal lens, I get the impression that the
> Tri-Elmar is not a particularly successful lens.  I think the f4 and
> awkward three focal length adjustments have a lot to do with its poor sales.

Don Chatterton lists a USA New Tri-Elmar at $2495; if it hasn't exactly
been flying off dealer shelves, maybe it's because it's a wee bit
expensive. In fact, if Mike Johnston's observations of a migration away
from the Leica M to the Contax G were correct, I wonder if the
G-system's price has anything to do with it.

Leica (all new USA gear)
M6 TTL (Stan Tamarkin prices, after rebate) $1995
35/2 Asph Summicron (Don Chatterton) $1595
50/2 Summicron (DC) $995
90/2.8 Elmarit (DC) $1245
===================================
Total system price: $5830

Contax (all prices are from Stan Tarmarkin for new USA gear)
Contax G2 (after rebate) $1399
35/2 Zeiss Planar (after rebate) $369
45 Zeiss Planar $339
90 Zeiss Sonnar (after rebate) $420
==================================
Total system price: $2527

In other words, for the price of one complete Leica M outfit, you can
have 2.3 Contax G2 outfits! Now I don't seriously believe that these two
systems are so different as to be a case of "apples versus oranges", and
the price difference is hard to ignore. You can certainly ease the
financial bite by starting with secondhand Leica equipment, but as I've
said before, this route isn't for everyone, and I can't say I'd always
blame 'em--I've seen stuff advertised as "Mint Minus" which was dinged
and obviously worn, and we're not talking faint blemishes either.

I still prefer using the aristocratic M-system, but wish for more
proletarian pricing ;-) The Leica R8? Price it below a Nikon F100, and
it'll start looking mighty interesting to me, and I might even catch
myself nodding along with folks who say "We didn't really need that
newfangled motor drive or autofocus stuff". $850 would be a fine price
for this camera, and I'd be pleased to own one.

Jeff