Subject: RE: [Leica] M4 versus M6
From: Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:14:36 -0500

Boy, the arguments you miss when you don't log on over the weekend!

I had the same quandary this weekend I always have when I go to an event &
take a Leica to use. I didn't want to lug (sorry!) everything around, just
one body & lens. I've finally decided for events that do not require any use
of flash & that are mostly outside, the M4 is the body of choice. The M6
(non-TTL classic) will go when flash concerns or indoor metering are a
problem to be tackled. The M4 and 35 ASPH worked like a charm this weekend
at the Texas State Fair. I've never had a problem with either body, but my
M4 sure is a smoother operating camera than the M6, whether it's the steel
vs. brass gearing, or whatever. But they both have their places in a good
outfit. The M6 was perfect at a golf tournament last week where I had to
photograph the teams on the course with (dare I say?) Kodak Gold 100, with a
Vivitar 285 flash to provide some fill-in.

I'll let you "experts" continue the argument below between yourselves. All I
know is both the M6 and M4 work for me, and they make photography fun.