Subject: Re: [Leica] If you thought it was expensive...
From: Aaron Ruby <aruby@rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:18:07 -0400

4season wrote:

> Don Chatterton lists a USA New Tri-Elmar at $2495; if it hasn't exactly
> been flying off dealer shelves, maybe it's because it's a wee bit
> expensive. In fact, if Mike Johnston's observations of a migration away
> from the Leica M to the Contax G were correct, I wonder if the
> G-system's price has anything to do with it.

<SNIP>

> Contax (all prices are from Stan Tarmarkin for new USA gear)
> Contax G2 (after rebate) $1399
> 35/2 Zeiss Planar (after rebate) $369
> 45 Zeiss Planar $339
> 90 Zeiss Sonnar (after rebate) $420
> ==================================
> Total system price: $2527

Jeff:

The based on Tamarkin's prices, the total G system price is actually $2188, not
$2527, since you inadvertantly added the price of a 45/2 to the system twice. The
G2 body at $1399 after rebate INCLUDES the 45/2. So actually the G is an even
better value. The Lecia system is actually 2.7 times more expensive than the
Contax. I admit, that's quite a savings, and I think you make a good point, but
I'd much rather have my second-hand M2 (E++ on ebay), my 35/2 pre-asph (new from
Rich Pinto), my 50/2 summicron (unused on ebay), and my elmarit-M 90/2.8 (mint-
from Sam Shoshan) than even a complete G2 system. Total cost for my used Leica
system: about $2500.

Best,

Aaron