Subject: RE: [Leica] Devils advocate
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:41:07 -0800

>I find the Leica M system for film loading a pain in the a**.  The EOS
>system and others are much simpler.  The reason Leica went with their
>strange method of loading film was maintain body integrity.  While this was
>understandable 50+ years ago, I don't see it necessary today. I think this
>disadvantage is a unique differentiator for the M camera, hence the reason
>Leica maintains it.
>
>If it really were necessary, they would have the R cameras load the same
>way.
>
>Peter K

peter,

without wanting to sound contentious (if that's possible on the lug these
days), i don't find the film loading a pain on the m. it did take me two
tries the first time around, i have had one misload since then (then being
february of this year), but other than that, it's been fine, and i haven't
yet had recourse to expletives during this undertaking. on the other hand,
i can't say that i've yet mastered the film loading of screw mount cameras
(but i think i've got it!).

what i find truly frustrating is the occasional 'NO!' i get when shooting
with my wife's rollei qzt in auto mode. there are simply times when it
won't allow you to take a picture, and it's not always clear why that is.
(the manual's not very helpful in that regard, and trying to get any info
from rollei is not much better). i know you can always switch it to manual
mode, but by that time, the image is gone. that's one of the reasons i
prefer a manual camera. many other reasons were summarized by frank when he
wrote:

>I have no need for:
>motor drive
>flash sync (at any speed!)