Subject: [Leica] current Leica quality
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:15:30 +0200

Mike wrote in part:
>Granted, all I am talking about are the tactile and visual
>impressions of quality, not objective
>engineering-level performance standards. But as far as tactile and
>visual impressions of quality are concerned, >there is only one test
>that is needed, in two parts, viz.:
>1. Look at and handle and old cameras and lenses.
>2. Look at and handle the new cameras and lenses.

I never made any comment about people liking the feel and handling of
any Leica. Feelings are not at issue. But the point is that Mike and
Mr Gandy extend their feeling and admiration for the older products
to conclude and now we are leaving the realm of feeling and
preferences that the engineering of the M6
"is a joke" (Mr Gandy) which is demonstrably untrue  (to stay on the
polite side of the debate).
And if Mike tells us that by simple visual and tactical comparison
the new Elmar-M is "in terms of
build-quality it is just this side of shoddy by comparison", he too
transgresses the thin but very firm line of opinion versus fact. If
the build quality would feel to Mike as shoddy I would not even
bother to react. Now Mike tells us, disregarding (his quote: )
"objective engineering-level performance standards, that the new
Elmar is a shoddy piece of engineering. Here I feel urged to say NO
to Mike. If you make statements about the engineering quality you
need to follow the measurable engineering standards and prove your
point by choice of material, mechanical tolerances and other fine
points of manufacturing analysis. There is no QED here: that is to
accept things on face value.
We are not campaigning for the presidential election where all
registers of persuasion may be used. We are trying to establish the
hypothesis that older Leica products are better build than newer ones
and the older ones were manufactured without any cost consideration,
where the current ones are less well build because of cost
considerations.
I do agree as I noted in my 1997 post that current Leica products
have been subject to some measures of manufacturing rationalization,
which in my view is not equal to saying that the current products are
shoddy, a joke or less well build.
The analysis if the Summicron 2/50 (six element current version) is
correct, in fact I wrote the same story.   But again it is partly a
matter of interpretation and partly a matter of solid fact. If the
Summicron is easier to manufacture and it can be done more
economically, why then is the inference that it must be a cheap
engineering product. I would conclude the other way. With less parts
to check, with less components to machine or grind or  assemble, the
product can be of higher quality, as QC can be intensified, and less
errors need to be corrected.
Mike concludes: "But at the summit of the contest for "best" tactile
and visual quality--the feel, the look, the sense of it--I just don't
think it can be argued that some of the older equipment was more
precise, better machined, more luxurious, and of better finish. "
As I said above, we were not in a contest of which camera feels best,
we try to establish if the "older equipment was more precise
(accuracy of shutter times, tolerances of the rangefinder masks?),
better machined (again, tolerance for matching parts, roughness of
surface?) and of better finish (more durable, more wear resistant?).
I am amazed that  one can conclude from the look and feel of a camera
that its internal parts are machined to a tighter tolerance or that
the choice of materials is superior.   A feel of a camera might
inspire confidence and admiration, but the assessment of its
engineering is a QC and shop act, not a gutfeeling.

Erwin