Subject: Re: [Leica] (OT) 35-70 mm zoom for G2
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:48:20 +0300

LEICAMAN56@aol.com wrote:

> The Tri-Elmar predates Herr Cohn's tenure.  Kiesel and Daniel are
> closer and more involved in product and production.  The Contax zoom
> has been rumored for years, but Leica came out with a variable focal
> length lens first.  Preemptive?  How about innovative?  Wouldn't a
> 35-50-70 Tri-Elmar be nice?

I can't live with f/4 in 35mm gear, but I would prefer a tri-focal lens
to a real zoom. With a tri-focal I know what I'm shooting with. Each
focal length has it's use and ways of being used. Tri-focal is like
switching lenses in a quick way, unlike zooms which leave me in the dark
as to what I'm handling. If there would be a 21-28-35, or a 24-28-35, I
think I could be tempted to buy one, even at f/4, because wide angle
lenses don't excel in speed anyway. Oh, and goes without saying that I'd
get one of those new Hexars for it, unless Leica make a M6AE.

Bernard