Subject: RE: [Leica] M3---6 upgrade?(how about the M5?)
From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 03:15:15 -0400

> Alastair,
>
> Brilliant! Sounds just about right. I have reached the IIIf stage
> at this point,
> with M6, M3, SL, SL2 along the way...
>
> Nathan

Alastair,Nathan, Horst:

I think Alastair's "psychoanalysis" of our common malady is humorous as well
as insightful. But why did you all neglect the M5 which is to me the best of
the line? It has a meter, no viewfinder blackout or clutter, and the number
of plastic parts is minimal. In addition, it is made from scratch by the
elves of Wetzlar. Yes, it is larger and heavier than its siblings(or I
should say half brothers). However, we haven't heard too many complaints
about the odd shape and weight of the R8.

In the interest of full disclosure I use an M6 and by and large I am happy
with it. Though on occasion I have a romantic longing for the mint M4 I
traded for the M6. Lug members with a literary bend know that Wetzlar has
very strong "romantic" associations,fortunately not just for camera lovers.
Goethe studied law there as the town was the seat of the High Court of the
pre-Napoleonic Holy Roman Empire. He fell hopelessly in love with Lotte-a
married woman; this affair then became the source of Goethe's  famous
romantic novel "Werther" and Massenet's opera of the same title.

regards, Andrew Jordan