Subject: Re: [Leica] More nattering from Johnston
From: "S London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:11:33 -0500

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I do not understand why the
judicious use of plastics in manufacturing has been so thoroughly demonized
by some members of the LUG.  It is simply another material which a designer
can choose to include in a product when its characteristics fit the need of
the part better than other available choices (glass, wood, metal).

Of course there it is possible for plastic to be used inappropriately purely
as a cost-saving measure, but I do not think it is fair to state implicitly
that any plastic part is immediately inferior and out of place.  Some people
almost sound cheated here when they find out that some low-stress part such
as the red dot is plastic.  Obviously, I do not think that it is in keeping
with the design ethic of the M6 to make the frame out of polycarbonate, but
if it is possible to soundly integrate different materials in the place of
metals to save money and weight without having a detrimental impact on
function, I say go for it.

In general terms, I think it would be hard to make a case that the world is
not a better place for mankind's mastery of plastics for use in
manufacturing.  It is impossible to name a product or a field which has not
been radically changed (for the better) by this.

In terms of Leica's cost-cutting measures, let me remind everyone that if
the company was making a "no compromises whatsoever" product they might not
be in business at all and most of us here would have a much tougher time
affording it, if we could in fact afford it at all.