Subject: [Leica] using my M6HM
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:53:34 -0700

Francesco Sanfilippo:
> Essentially I am wondering if the problem is with me not
> scoping out the frame completely enough or not moving in
> tight enough?  Should I move to a 50/2 lens as my one,
> single lens?  Is it easier to quickly study the frame
> with the 50 since the frame window is smaller and
> centrally located?

Robert Capa said that if the pictures aren't good enough
the photographer isn't close enough. He was probably right.
Nevertheless, I use an M6 0.85, too, and I find that I have
to be in practice to use the 35 effectively - I have to
*know* where the framelines are, whereas with the 50 it's
easier to use the finder.

Probably you could use either approach in a conscious fashion
and improve your results.

One thing that I *have* noticed is that the 35 seems much
wider with the M6 than it ever did with my Nikons. I attribute
this both to the wide apparent viewing angle and to the fact
that with the rangefinder you see information both in front
of and behind the focus plane.

Best light,

Alexey