Subject: [Leica] Re: judicious use of plastics
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:47:38 -0000

"S London" <srlondon@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I do not understand why the
judicious use of plastics in manufacturing has been so thoroughly
demonized
by some members of the LUG.  It is simply another material which a
designer
can choose to include in a product when its characteristics fit the
need of
the part better than other available choices (glass, wood, metal).

Perhaps it depends on how long you hope to live and keep using your
Leica!

One problem with plastic is that we don't know how long it will last.
In the 1950s and 1960s, we Leica users felt really good about
vulcanite - it was a hard-wearing covering which kept on looking good
after decades of use. However, our cameras have now lasted long enough
that many are showing the 'crumbling vulcanite' disease.

It's still relatively easy to find lens hoods for the lenses of the
1930s, 40s and 50s. These were made from metal so were fairly
indestructable. What will be the chances of finding a plastic Noctilux
lens hood in 2030 or even 2050 if the existing one breaks? This isn't
an academic question - assuming I'm not "shoving up the daisies" by
then, I still hope to be using my Noctilux in 2025. Given a bit of
luck, I'll make past 2025, but I wonder if that plastic lens hood
will?

Regards,

Doug Richardson