Subject: RE: [Leica] using my M6HM
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

>Cropping isn't for street shooting. Cropping is for people who
>forget to frame properly, which is to say it's basically a
>crutch....

I don't belong to the purist camp of "never crop anything" even for street
shooting. To my way of thinking, I'm looking for a pleasing or expressive
picture. If a full frame photograph achieves my goal, so much the better,
otherwise I'll crop to achieve what I think is the right balance in the
picture. There are many occasions where what I feel is the right
perspective for my subject does not coincide with what lens I have with
me, where I can situate myself to frame it, etc. Cropping is an essential
tool of the photographic craftsman and should not be relegated to a status
as crutch.

Godfrey