Subject: [Leica] Plastics in Leica's (almost)
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:17:55 +0100

Alistair wrote:-

>the toll on the planet to extract that iron ore
> and convert it into bits of stainless steel (assuming we're not talking
> really silly gold) seems to me a little more onerous than getting the
> plastic stuff for swatches made from oil. But that is an under-informed
> opinion. Planetary toll wasn't the point of the message anyway

I don't agree that plastic processing is any less Eco unfriendly than metal
mining and refining.

Incidentally, is it not a chemical in plastic food packaging that's being
blamed for the high (relative) occurrence of hermaphrodite children being
born?  Also cited as a possible carcinogen and responsible for various other
gender related abnormalities.  I believe this was first discovered in fish
living in waters polluted by plastics factories?  Add to this the amount of
plastic thrown away every day and its inability to biodegrade.  I really
don't think that plastics are in any way Eco-friendly.  Flawed argument.

And yes there is the battery disposal thing.

Please don't take this personally.  I'm happy to debate as loudly as you
like, but no ill will intended.  This is perhaps beginning to drift off
topic anyway ;o)

Jason Hall