Subject: [Leica] 50 Summicron or 50 Summilux as standard lens??
From: Michael Hintlian <MichaelHintlian@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:21:26 -0400

Francesco;

If you are saying that the 50 is the only lens that you will use on the HM,
and that you have another body with a 35 or 28 or something, then...ok.
But, if the 50 will become your "only" lens be forewarned that the 50mm
focal length, while arguably the most common focal length in the 35mm
landscape, is the most difficult to master.  Trust me on this one.  If you
intend to really learn the 50, be prepared to endure paying the price.  The
flip side is...when you really nail it with a 50, there is nothing
sweeter...the photos sing.

You have my support...but....you have been warned.

MH

p.s.:  While Leica has him in their literature talking about the 50mm,
Salgado doesn't use the 50mm often... most of the time he shoots with a
60mm Macro on an R camera for that focal length.

Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

"If one were to buy a lens for an M6HM
to use as their ONLY lens, I assume the
consensus is that the 50mm is the best
choice since it fits nicely between wide
angle and short telephoto, Salgado and
Cartier-Bresson used it as a standard
lens, etc."