Subject: Re: [Leica] re: chrome cleaning
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:12:33 -0700

In 1992 I met Jim Marshall and was a guest in his home on a couple of
occasions. We talked about Leicas and he signed prints for me. I remember
very well the M4 that is currently being discussed because it had a
Leicavit. Marshall has a lot of Leicas - M4's and M2's. He uses them hard,
but he also buys used and when I knew him he'd just bought an M4 that was
already pretty brassy. He liked the M2's because he's a big fan of the
Leicavit. I think the real interesting thing about the M4 that's been
discussed is not its finish (or lack of), but the fact that it was modified
with an M2 drive system so that a Leicavit could be installed. It's
interesting as well that the Titanium M6 shown in American Photo also has a
Leicavit installed and, therefore, must have been similarly modified.

The accompanying text seems a little misleading, though. It made it sound as
if he was making a change from the use of one single camera to another. He
has quite a few and uses them all.

Bryan