Subject: [Leica] Re: Godfrey's Heliar pic; some of mine; and some actual Leica pictures.
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:30:53 -0400

1999-10-22-21:09:04 Jim Brick:

> >http://krusty.oven.com/temp-displays/jpeg-nonmac-gamma/c3991013-16%5bescal%5d0705.jpeg
>
> Jeff... this photograph is awesome!!!

Why thank you, sir, that means a lot.

I'd attribute the picture to two phenomena.

For one thing, while I always wait to see a processed roll with
trepidation, and feel really lucky when a frame turns out to be a
picture which pleases me, I have noticed that as the years of looking
at photos I like, and pointing cameras at things, and looking at the
results, and trying to figure out which of the results I like and why,
have gone on... the rate at which I am blessed with these lucky frames
seems to have gone up.  I hesitate to posit any causal relationship
lest I be struck down for hubris, but there you are.  The framelines
seem to pull themselves into position.

Another development over the years is that that little voice which
once whispered "maybe you should push the... oh, never mind" now seems
sometimes to be much more shrill: "push the button NOW, mother-effer!
Don't fiddle any more with exposure, or focus, just PUSH THE DAMNED
BUTTON!"

Sometimes I still ignore that voice, because some technical or framing
detail isn't quite right yet, and I almost always regret my
sluggishness later.

So... there's this escalator I ride down nearly every day.  And I don't
take pictures of it, even as I see others do so, because I don't feel
I'd have anything to add.  But then I had this new wideangle toy, and I
could envision the picture being kind of cool, and I set up the dials
and levers, and thought "Okay, maybe as soon as that guy has passed,"
and the voice said, in a manner which brooked no disagreement, "no, you
idiot, right... NOW."

And that was the only frame I took, but I figured it might be the
right one.

Am I getting too melodramatic for the room?  Sorry.

 -Jeff M.