Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron or 50 Summilux as standard lens??
From: "S London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:43:40 -0500

I have not had the benefit of using a 50 summicron, but I am a huge fan of
the 50 summilux based on the results I've been able to get with that lens.
Since I own my M6 with the intention of never sullying its hotshoe with the
base of a photo flash attachment, the extra stop is important to me.  In
addition, I find it to be a very usable f/1.4, as it maintains almost all of
the crispness and contrast that make the lens so pleasing at the middle
apertures.  I find that I use this lens most between f/1.4 and f/4, as I am
either using it for portraits or available light.  It is certainly small
enough to use as an all purpose lens, unlike what many have said about the
heft of the Noctilux.

Compared to my late 35mm Summicron, I find that the 50 Summilux has a very
slightly cooler color rendition which is very pleasing.  Particularly in B&W
work, I find the amazing tonality the lens produces to be amazing.  To me,
this lens epitomizes what I had hoped for in making the jump to Leica glass.

I agree with Tina in that I consider the 50mm to be more of a light tele
focal length. I personally find that it is just enough of a jump over 35mm
when a narrower perspective is desired, but its frame is still comfortably
large in my standard finder M6.

In terms of your choice, I would ask you two questions.  1)  Are you going
to be using this lens in available light use in darker situations?  If so,
the extra stop over the Summicron might be of use to you.  2)  Are you
looking mainly for a lens for more standard-type portraits, or are you
interested in honing your street photography/situational portrait skills?
50mm fits the bill for the first possiblity, 35mm for the 2nd.

Good luck either way.