Subject: RE: [Leica] 50 Summicron or 50 Summilux as standard lens-or 35 sum....
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 20:56:23 -0400

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:21:56 -0700
From: "Francesco Sanfilippo" <fls@san.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [Leica] 50 Summicron or 50 Summilux as standard lens??

>So you recommend I stick with the 35/2 ASPH I have and learn
>that inside and out, and use that as my ONE M lens for now?

Francesco Sanfilippo
francesco@incsystems.com
Webmaster & Network Administrator,
InContact Systems, MentorU

- -------------------------- SNIP original--------------------

If you are going somewhere and want one lens it's a tough choice (i.e all
are good).
It will be hard because the 50 summicron is so cheap!!  (??)  The 35
summicron asph is just perfect - I think.   Definitely don't base your
decision on who/ what photographer use/s/d what.  I would also say don't
base it on ease of use, or best tool for the job.  A 21 and a 50 - this
would apply!  But 35 and 50 aren't subject to any universal best tool rules.
As you mention above the important thing is to master one lens.  Either will
do.  I've given up on "if only I had the xx lens!"  Well then you would have
missed this shot, that shot.  Changing lenses often is I think best to keep
to a minimum, specifically while you're shooting (in between...)  .The shot
demands as much of you as you can put into it, perhaps a fraction of a
second.  The decisions should be inside the shot, rather then choices of
'what' to shoot 'with'.  The latter already a given,  puts the load on the
shot!  Then again, your choices will be good in any case.
- -eno