Subject: [Leica] Pushing the limits of...of...
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 06:44:35 +0000

>>>Of course it is possible, but large format does it much more easily.
I,
personally, enjoy the challenge of  pushing the limits of the format<<<

Here's how I think one pushes the limit of the 35mm format:

By extending the "available darkness" concept as much as can, by using
really fast films like P3200 or Fujicolor 800 and fast lenses; by
mastering camera-handling skills and learning to shoot fast and
reactively, then shooting lots and spending time and care editing; and
by expending skill and craft trying to eke good prints out of these
damned tiny negs anyway.

IMHO the absolute slowest B&W film there is any excuse for using in 35mm
is ISO 100 (I get somewhat weaker in my opinionation when it comes to
K25 <s>). T-Max 100 and 100 Delta have such incredible resolution
already that pursuing further resolution at the expense of speed and
good tonality is...is...well, I guess I'll leave the potentially
offensive epithet off, out of respectfulness to those who prefer
slower-than-100-speed films. As if what they use is any of MY business.
<g>

- --Mike