Subject: RE: [Leica] Screw Opinions!
From: Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:00:46 -0500

While I'm sure the later 50 Elmars are better, I have one with a SN of
502,xxx, which is from 1939. At some point during the 50's it was returned
to the factory & was updated. It has the red focusing scale, the current F
numbers, and is coated! I specifically asked for a pre-war lens, just to see
what results I could obtain. The moral here is to make sure what you are
getting. Many Leitz optics of that period were probably updated, if sent in
for service. Sure, it's pre-war glass so will still probably not be as good
as the later models, but the coating I'm sure helps, and it's nice having
the f-stop scale with the regular stops. The resulting pictures I have
obtained from this lens are very, very nice, although I have made sure the
lens was always used outdoors with the hood (FISON). Indoors it goes sans
hood. I sent it to Golden Touch for a CLA. After the lube & cleaning, it's
just as smooth as the new stuff! Next up is to get a screw adapter to mount
it on my M cameras for fun stuff.