Subject: Re: [Leica] Mo' Bettah: The 35mm Summicron
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:59:02 -0700

>I think there is a lot of hype about the 35 summilux asph.
>People who have paid the big bucks for it are reluctant to
>admit that it has actually harsh bokeh

I did, two posts ago. But also I pointed out that
the bokeh is harsh only at the middle apertures, that
this is mainly noticable in very specific situations
(which the user learns to identify), and that the lens
is absolutely phenomenal if used wide open, with a
very beautiful, plastic rendering.

>and that the lens is one heavy brute.

Not so. In the black version the Summilux ASPH weighs
5g *less* than the Summicron ASPH, i.e. the lenses
have identical mass.

>IMO, its greatest and perhaps the only advantage is a max
>aperture of f1.4.

That's a pretty big advantage if you like K64 or Delta 100
in marginal light. Like many of my best friends, the 'lux
ASPH has some prickly sides to its personality, but is
well worth knowing! ;-)

- -Alexey