Subject: Re: [Leica] Signing diagonal prints
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:54:13 -0700

Richard Edwards wrote:

> Why should we trust either of you when your smiley's,  :-) are vertically
> oriented?
> Is there a place where folks cock their heads 90 degrees when grinning?

I read that the indigenous peoples who live way up north in the round ingloos
have a different relationship to the 300 shades of snow and the horizonline or
lack of that comes with it. They hang there pictures upsidedown or any which way
and it is perfectly natural for them to look at them this way.
When it comes time to make fun of their southern visitors they crane their necks
archly in imitation of what these guest do when they come into their igloos and
look around at the pictures on the walls always trying to position their heads
so that the bottom of the picture is on the bottom and so on. They think we've
got a weird thing with our heads and necks...And insistence on reference points
being at certain places. A stronger form of narrow mindedness.
Mark Rabiner