Subject: Out of the closet, was RE: [Leica] LTM lens
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:45:40 -0400

Dave,

I hesitated a bit before "coming out", but here is my 2c.

If it is the black and chrome model, one of the very last ltm's from Canon,
contemporaneous with the 7, it is very good indeed, better in many regards
(contrast, resolution, flare resistance, coating quality, scratch
resistance, non-fogging) than the contemporaneous summicrons. It takes a
40mm filter/hood, which are absolutely totally completely unobtainable
unless you go with custom. You will never make the sky and clouds punchy
with a yellow, orange or red filter with this lens!

I have several of them, and use them with adapter on my M's. They're better
than collapsible and first version rigid 'cron's (but then, despite the
strength of other's opinions, most of the measurable facts bear show that
those generation lenses are very ordinary). My tests showed that the Canon
f1.8 did not have the uncompromising contrast of the Nikkor f2 ltm lenses,
though.

BUT most of this doesn't matter if you shoot at f4-f11 and use tri-x, which
becomes the limiting factor in the mix, ceteris paribus.

I have no comments about the hokey bokey bokeh bo-ke, however, since I never
evaluated my lenses for it. When I shoot, it isn't really something I think
about. My editors probably couldn't even spell it :=)

Mechanically I really like it; it is light weight, well designed, made,
finished and assembled. It performs very well. It is available very cheaply,
by comparison to its competitors.  Both control rings go the 'right' way.
What's not to like?

$150 is a fair dealer price for exc++

Hope this helps,

best of light.