Subject: [Leica] More on Tri-X
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:25:00 +0000

Gary Klein: >>>Tri x was maligned as being grainy by some and of course
that is due to
processing mistakes<<<

gck,
...And also the wrong enlarger. The light source makes a big difference
in the apparent degree of graininess with Tri-X. I had a Focomat II for
a while (lovely beast!) that made Tri-X grain look as bad as some of its
traditional detractors would have us believe. It works much better with
a diffusion enlarger--either cold light or, better, a dichroic-style VC
head. Some people prefer the slightly less diffuse look of the
Durst-style heads, which are sort of half-collimated, half-diffuse, and
give it a little more "bite" without pushing the grainy look too far.

- --Mike

P.S. I think I love Tri-X as much as Leicas. <s>