Subject: Re: [Leica] Using the R8 & 50 Summicron
From: "N.S. Ng" <nsnga@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:54:26 +0800

Hello,

I have been using this lens for about 11/2 years, I purchased this because I
like to have a short range zoom and on occassions when I want to travel
light. Many of my shots were taken at f4. My other zoom is a 70-210
Angeniuex. I have the 50 Summicron R as well.

The 35-70 f4, is a fine performer. At its widest aperture, f4, its
performance is better than the 50 Summicron at f4. It seems to be sharper,
probably due to its higher contrast. I have also compared the performance at
35mm. end to my 35 mm. Summicron-M ( non- aspherical) at f.4 and I could not
see any difference. I have not compared this to my 35mm. Summilux-Asph. At
f4 at 70mm., the 35-70, shows better resolution and virtually no vignetting
compared to the Angenieux at 70mm.  It is probably unfair to compare a 15+
years old lens to a current Leica zoom. When it was introduced, the
Angenieux was a highly rated lens.

As far as handling is concerned, this lens mates well with the R8. I have
the R6.2, but I find the lens too large with it or rather the 6.2 just a bit
too small. But surprisingly it is quite light. The annoying feature here is
the rotating front which will be a nuisance when using a polarizer. F4
sounds slow, but on a bright day or using fast films, this should not be a
problem. When I travel light and do not wish to carry my 50 and 90
Summicrons, I will use this set-up. But I still carry my 28 Elmarit-R, when
I need a slightly wider lens.

I think Leica is not doing enough to promote this lens. For example, even
though this zoom has an aspherical element, it is not indicated anywhere on
the lens. I bet if Leica were to advertise or promote this as an aspherical
lens, it will increase in sales.

I recommend this lens if you do not mind the f4 aperture, the rotating front
and if you need a short range zoom. I believe in previous postings in this
NG, other 35-70 f4 users have reported favourable results with this lens.

Regards,

N.S.